WOOF! WELCOME!


WOOF! WELCOME!


Partners with your dog -- Side by side and Paw in Hand!


We want you to enjoy your life with your dog to the utmost!

Send us a question. Send us a brag. Send us a photo. Leave a comment. We'll answer, post and all learn together!

Arrrooooooooo!!!

Maren

And the Paw in Hand team!



Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Dragonflies, Dogs and Life...


The other day I was out hiking with a group of dogs. We were near a pond at the edge of the forest. I had a lot on my mind over the last few days trying to educate the owners of a new puppy as to why aversive methods of dog training were not only cruel and potentially harmful but not even effective in the long run. Over the last few months I had also been entwined with changes in my dog service business and career. Contemplations of mid life changes were mixed in there as well.



So, with compassion and change on the forefront of my mind I made a discovery that brought with it more than it may have at another time in my life. Ahead of me on the dusty trail I saw a large blue dragonfly ... motionless. My first thought was that it was dead and I would collect it for my nature display. When I picked it up however, I discovered that it was still alive and I felt an instant surge of compassion. Compassion for a dragonfly. Was it hurt and beyond recovery? Should I put it out of it’s suffering?



I held it in the palm of my hand and stared at it’s iridescent beauty, totally mesmerized. Watching dragonflies in flight, riding the breeze and hovering can easily put me in a contented trance but staring into the many faceted depths of the eyes of a living one is ... is ... well, I can honestly say that my life changed that day.



Dragonfly behaviourist I am not, however as I observed the dragonfly in my hand it was apparent that it had been injured in some way, quite possibly it’s neurological system. It’s legs sporadically twitched and a few times his wings readied for flight but with erratic ineffective movements. A couple of times it’s body made odd contortions. I took photos of it with my camera phone as I considered whether there was a chance that the dragonfly was temporarily stunned and may regain function or whether it was kindest to help it quickly to it’s death. It didn’t seem to get worse or better. I carried it for a while in my camera case.



Some time later I took it out and again held it in my hand and observed it. Similar body movements to before. Then it’s wings started to quiver and vibrate more and more rapidly until the amazing insect flew out of my hand! ... and sadly landed once again on the ground. I quickly scooped it up so no dog would harm it and I felt the time was right to end it’s life. No sooner had I decided when once again it flew off ... I’d like to say that it flew to freedom but in an instant as fast as I could have done it myself, a dog snatched him and quickly ended his life. I was stunned but ...



What does this experience have to do with dog training and behaviour? As I watched the dragonfly I thought of compassion and understanding and what is normal behaviour for a species.

Coincidence? One of my all time favourite mentors, professional dog trainer and seminar presented is Sue Ailsby. She had a very compassionate and understanding style with dogs. Her website is called Dragonfly Llama. Check out http://www.dragonflyllama.com/index.html



Another one of my all time favourite dog trainers is Suzanne Clothier. She is author of the excellent book "Bones Would Rain From The Sky -- Deepening our Relationships with Dogs". It is available at the Squamish library as well as at my favourite dog book supplier www.dogwise.com Check out Suzanne's insightful articles on understanding dogs http://www.flyingdogpress.com/



And... some interesting symbolism about dragonflies. Verrrrry interesting indeed....

http://www.dragonfly-site.com/meaning-symbolize.html

http://www.whats-your-sign.com/animal-symbolism-dragonfly.html

2 comments:

  1. Well, this sure reminds me of my Cicada experience about 2 months ago with the Squirrel.

    Dragonflies are amazing insects. I've seen some big enough that I mistake them for Hummingbirds.

    Cool van cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (copy of e-mail comment from Sue Ailsby)
    Thanks! When I was a kid I lived way up north. Our moms all knit us Siwash sweaters, also called Cowichans, made from natural raw wool rovings. If a day was lucky, I could get a dragonfly to land on my lapel. It would spend the day snacking on the lanolin in the raw wool, and I'd enjoy the day with the most beautiful brooch imaginable.

    Sue Eh?
    www.dragonflyllama.com

    ReplyDelete