WOOF! WELCOME!


WOOF! WELCOME!


Partners with your dog -- Side by side and Paw in Hand!


We want you to enjoy your life with your dog to the utmost!

Send us a question. Send us a brag. Send us a photo. Leave a comment. We'll answer, post and all learn together!

Arrrooooooooo!!!

Maren

And the Paw in Hand team!



Monday, September 1, 2014

Holidays! Owieeeeeee! Trail first aid and no holidays or hiking for Maren

As usual, I took holiday time at the end of August. I started my time off with a weekend in Seattle at an excellent dog behaviour seminar. Then back home for a day before heading out camping with my family. I took time out from packing to take my canine sidekicks Opal and Trixie out on the trails. We had a fabulous run and even a nice swim. What a great start to holiday time! Then when we were close to home I somehow fell.  I landed on a loose rock with my shin and smashed my flesh open in some mangled unrecognizable shape. First step - stay calm Maren and sit down. I pulled a 2" rock out of my mangled flesh. Second step, quick trail first aid. After notifying someone where I was, I  hobbled home and then drove to Squamish General Hospital emergency.

The wound was assessed the the emergency physician. Not enough tissue left to stitch. Wound will have to granulate in slowly and be irrigated and packed daily at outpatient care. Keep the leg elevated and no walking and.....  Well ... next day they decided they'd stitch it loosely and pack the undermining pockets

Cancel camping reservations. No hiking for the rest of the season.

I tried to see the silver lining in my cloud... It wasn't broken or strained and my head was okay and it could have been worse.

As for the silver lining ... I have been working on a few Paw in Hand training projects so keep tuned!

Three weeks later...... Shin wounds take a long time to heal because of the lack of tissue and blood supply in the area. I am still banadaged up and getting my special treatment dressing changes every other day but moving around is good and I have the clear to get back to leading all my canine clients on trail adventures.

 Dogggies are good for my emotional health too! Hiking time!

Reminder to all....Know basic first aid and carry a fist aid kit with supplies for both humans and dogs!

Maren is a Practical Nurse by training and is also certified in DogSafe Canine First Aid http://www.dogsafe.ca/index.html



Opal and Trixie having a swim




Foot up with a friend


No comments:

Post a Comment