WOOF! WELCOME!


WOOF! WELCOME!


Partners with your dog -- Side by side and Paw in Hand!


We want you to enjoy your life with your dog to the utmost!

Send us a question. Send us a brag. Send us a photo. Leave a comment. We'll answer, post and all learn together!

Arrrooooooooo!!!

Maren

And the Paw in Hand team!



Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Doggies out on a field trip!!!



Cute huh? Indy was adopted from the Vancouver Pound and joined her new family just over a month ago and now she has joined the Paw In Hand family too.

This blog post is not just about Indy though ... it is about any dog that you interact with. It could be any dog that I take out on a doggie field trip for the first time or any time afterward for that matter. It is about trail training and communication and relationship and understanding your dog and having fun together -- all the fun things in life together with YOU.

From the time I first met Indy at her front door I watched her body language and interacted with her according to her responses. I responded by using my body language, reinforcing behaviours that I like and trying to prevent or interrupt behaviours that were undesirable ... and mixing in a few simple foundation training games too!

- My greeting when meeting Indy and her handler on the porch was based on Indy's comfort level. Our body language makes a big difference when approaching dogs. Indy was happy to meet me.
- Putting the leash on Indy and handling her head and shoulder area was combined with happy voice and treats and her body language showed relaxed anticipation at every step.
- Collar grab test was paired with a tasty treat as a safety test as well as a foundation for recall games.
- Walking on leash towards the van: if she pulled I stopped and waited for her to check in with me then we moved forward again. Every step matters if you want your dog to be attentive to you and not learn leash pulling either.
- I ensured that she happily jumped into the van and had a comfortable space without being crowded by other dogs.
- She was close enough to my drivers seat that I could treat her if needed and calm her. She didn't need it though. She was my last pick-up before the walk so she didn't have to wait long before we got to the parking area.
- When we parked I calmly got together my backpack and gear as the dogs all waited patiently. Premack ... wait and be quiet and good things come ... then I got out of the van and walked around to the sliding door.
- Indy was the first to do the reorienting exercises, default wait and sit and that I do at all doorways and of course always out of the van ... No rushing off without the special key (ME!) first!
- We played a few attention and focusing games while the other dogs waited patiently in the van. Indy passed the tests. I then let another dog out of the van to see if Indy would still check in with me -- she passed that too -- and then the field trip began!

During our walks there are many things that I do to keep the dogs attentive to me. Mini training games such as auto attention, treat zen, name game, release cues, recall, stop motion cues, Premack trail rewards, and more! I watch their body language for early signs that could lead to trouble and redirect them to more appropriate outlets. Always easier to get dogs to DO something than to NOT DO something. At worst a dog may get a time out on leash.

Potential new doggie clients are pre-screened. Dogs with aggression, bike chasing, wildlife harassing, or other such issues are not candidate for group off leash field trips.

Of course dogs can always learn new things ... both desirable and not desirable so I try my best to set my doggie clients up for success so that they have many happy years adventuring with me. If owners can do their part in training their dogs some foundation behaviours it helps greatly in problem prevention.

Join us at least once in a STEP ONE Training Workshop to learn about some of these simple yet crucial games that can fit easily into daily life
http://pawinhand.blogspot.com/p/step-one.html

2 comments:

  1. Maren, Indy is anxiously awaiting another trip out with the crew!!

    Our little girl had so much fun and can't wait for her next paw in hand experience.

    Great work!!

    ReplyDelete